As a part of its immigration drive, Canada is inviting a lot of skilled, educated graduate, post graduate and PhD candidates to apply and immigrate to Canada. PhD graduates certainly hold better score than other graduates holding masters or bachelors degree graduates. This blog post focuses on different ways a PhD holder can immigrate and get a permanent residency (PR) to Canada and become a permanent resident. In addition to regular Federal Express Entry system there are few PNP (Provincial Nomination Programs) for PhD graduates(like OINP PhD graduate stream, International Post Graduate stream of British Columbia(BC)) where every province based on its current business and economic demands, configures it’s immigrants intake policies as per its current needs. We will discuss both the options in detail in this blog post.
Every skilled worker is recommended to complete an Express Entry profile as a first step to permanently immigrate to Canada. But it does not guarantee that you will receive an ITA (Invitation to Apply) for PR (Permanent Residency) as ITA is based on your score in Express Entry pool which is evaluated by CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System).
- For Outland Candidates
- Skilled worker immigration
- Canadian experience class
- For Inland Candidates
- OINP (Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program) for PhD International Graduate Stream
- BC PNP (BC Provincial Nominee Program) for International Post-Graduate category under Skills Immigration
1. Outland Candidates
1.1. Federal Skilled Worker Immigration
Federal Skilled worker immigration is one of 3 immigration programs under Express Entry.
- Minimum 1 year experience in a skilled occupation with NOC skill level 0, A or B.
- Proven language proficiency in English or French with minimum CLB 7 score.
- Educational Credential Equivalence (ECA) report stating Canadian equivalency of doctorate degree earned from foreign university.
Note: Additional 5 points are awarded for any previous study in Canada.
1.2. Canadian Experience Class
If you’ve worked in Canada for minimum 1 year in last 36 months and hold a PhD degree, you’re eligible for Canadian Experience Class under Express Entry.
- Dependening in level of your job, you need to achieve minimum of CLB 5 or CLB 7 of English language proficiency test.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in Canada.
If you’ve worked in Quebec then Quebec Experience Class is another immigrant program by Quebec which you need to apply to.
2. Inland Candidates
2.1. OINP – PhD International Graduate Stream
PhD Graduate Stream is one of two sub-categories under Human Capital Category of OINP (Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program) which gives international graduates holding Ontario PhD degree, opportunity to live and work in Ontario
1. Apply through OINP e-Filing portal.
2. Ontario government will nominate you for PR.
3. Apply for PR through IRCC Express Entry portal.
- You must have legally lived in Ontario for at least one year in the past two years before you apply.
- PhD degree must be awarded by eligible university in Ontario.
- At least two years of your PhD studies must have been completed while legally living and studying in Ontario.
2.2. International Post-Graduate category of the BC PNP
Master’s or doctorate degree in:
1. biological and biomedical sciences
2. statistics / mathematics
3. engineering / engineering technology
4. computer and information sciences
5. physical sciences
6. health professions
7. natural resources conservation
- Within last 3 years, you must be awarded a PhD degree from eligible post secondary institute in BC.
- You have legal immigration status in Canada.
In addition to this, there are few other streams by difference provinces which directly or indirectly benefits PhD candidates. Hope this blog helps enlightening the immigration pathways for PhD candidate.
If you hold a PhD and want to immigrate to Canada, we at ImmigrateToCanada can help. Just click the call button at the bottom right of the page to discuss more or even if just to say hi .. 🙂