This post lists all the best and easiest possible ways to Immigrate to Canada and get a Canadian PR in 2020. Over the past few years, the process for Canadian Immigration has been really streamlined and most of the times its just a matter of choosing the right category/stream to apply in.
Canada has opened its doors really wide open since early 2017 and there are many ways to make Canada as your new home as of 2020. While this sounds exciting at first, it also confuses people on which stream to apply and whats the path to PR in that particular stream. With that said, there is no better time for aspirants looking to Immigrate to Canada, lets quickly take a look at each of the Canadian immigration streams and their prospects in the following post:
Agri-Food pilot Canada is the most recently launched immigration category in 2020
1. Express Entry
Express Entry is one of the most popular immigration streams amongst skilled migrants. It started off in 2015 and has been source of growing skilled immigrants for the Canadian Govt.
Canada’s Express Entry is a point based system where candidates are ranked on pre-decided set of parameters which ultimately converge to a final score. Candidates are then invited based on their score in Express Entry Pool.
Who Can Apply?
- Anyone having a undergraduate (or Bachelor’s), graduate (or Master’s) or post graduate (or PhD) degree can apply. The higher the degree, more the points.
- At least 2 years (within last 5 years) of Canadian or foreign experience in a skilled trade under key groups of NOC B (Federal Skilled Trades Program).
- If you have 1 year (within last 3 years) Canadian Experience in NOC 0, A, B (Canadian Experience Class), then you get more points.
- Candidates aged below 29 gets more points, 5 points are deducted per year of age after that.
Note: A full time job offer letter with positive LMIA from eligible Canadian employer will add substansial points to candidate application. Thus, candidates with skills in demand are advised to reach out to prospective employers first.
Processing time: Varies with country(though 6-8 months is a good estimate)
Fees: $1040 per person
Path to Citizenship: Almost certain. Since you get a PR after you get invited and approved in express entry, you become a Canadian citizen after living 3 out of past 5 years of Canada.
2. Provincial Nomination Programs (PNP)
Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) allow Canadian territories and provinces to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada. Those candidates are also interested in settling in a particular province. Every Provincial Nomination Program has at least one immigration category that is aligned with the Federal CIC Express Entry immigration process.
Every Canadian province, except Québec and Nunavut territory has its own unique PNP. By Canadian Law, Québec can select its own immigrants who want to settle in the province. However, immigrants have to meet certain Federal requirements to be admitted to Canada. Refer to Immigration to Quebec for more information.
To be nominated by a province or territory, one must follow the instructions on their website and contact them directly:
Ontario Provincial Nomination is operated by the Ontario government in partnership with the federal government through IRCC. This Program allows foreign workers, international students and others with the right skills, experience and education to apply for a nomination for permanent residence in Ontario.
Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) is made up of three categories and each category is further divided into several streams:
- Employer Job Offer – Applicants with permanent and full time job offer from employer within the province can apply in this stream. Applicant can either be foreign worker or international student
- Human capital – Stream is further sub categorized into two streams:
- International Graduates
- Masters Graduate Stream – is for international graduates with a Master’s degree (at least 1 academic year of full time study) from eligible university in Ontario, to apply to permanently live and work in Ontario.
- PhD Graduate Stream -Stream for PhD degree holders with at least two years of PhD studies completed while legally living and studying in Ontario, to apply to permanently live and work in Ontario. If you are a PhD Holder and are looking to Immigrate, checkout our post on Various Options for PhD immigration to Canada
- Ontarios Express Entry
- French-Speaking Skilled Worker Stream – If you can score Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 7 or higher for French and CLB level 6 or higher for English and have at least one year of work experience in Canada in Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC), then you are eligible to apply under this stream.
- Human Capital Priorities Stream – Candidates who are part of Federal Express Pool (under either Federal Skilled Worker Program or Canadian Experience Class) are accepted into Ontario Express Entry pool of candidates. Individual with NOC in demand will receive a NOI (Notification of Interest) from Ontario before one can apply online, to be nominated by the Ontario government for PR.
- Skilled Trades Stream – is for candidates with at least 1 year of full-time work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work) in Ontario in a skilled trade that is listed in Minor Group 633 or Major Groups 72, 73 or 82 of the NOC (National Occupational Classification) are eligible under this stream.
- International Graduates
- Business – The business category has two streams:
- Corporate stream: This stream is for international corporations looking to expand or buy an existing business in Ontario.
- Entrepreneur stream: One must be an entrepreneur from outside of Canada looking to start a new business or buy an existing business in Ontario
BC Provincial Nominee Program propose three different ways to become a PR in BC province. Every program contains different categories one can apply under, depending on NOC skill level, student status and job. All BC provincial programs are listed below:
- Express Entry BC – EEBC stream connects to the Federal CIC Express Entry system. It is faster way for skilled workers to gain PR in BC province.
- Skilled Immigration – It is a point based invitation program for workers (skilled or semi-skilled) in high demand occupations in BC. Interested individual can register and apply online for the BC PNP, followed by a paper application process for PR. For some categories, one may not need prior work experience even.
- Entrepreneur Immigration – Just like skilled Immigration, Entrepreneur program is also point based system for high net worth business individuals who can invest in and manage actively a valid business in BC.
BC Tech Pilot
Alberta Provincial nomination primarily comprise of following 4 streams:
- Alberta Opportunity Stream – This stream is for individuals who hare on Temporary Foreign Worker visa and for eligible occupation they are holding a work permit which can either be LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) or PGWP (Post Graduation Work Permit)
- Alberta Express Entry Stream – Province may select individuals and send them a NOI letter in their Federal EE profile if their occupation supports Alberta’s economic development and if they have stated their interest to permanently move to Alberta.
- Self employed Farmer Streams – Applicants with proven farm management skills and a business plan for the farming enterprise in Alberta.
Employer Driver Stream
Manitoba governments is currently undergoing renewal of the MPNP i.e. Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program. The MPNP renewal is aimed at improving Manitoba’s economic competitiveness by nominating skilled workers and their families who wish to work and live in the province permanently.
The MPNP will be reorganized around four new or revised application streams:
- Skilled Worker Stream is driven based on the needs of Manitoba local employers. Internationally trained and experienced workers who have the skills needed in the local labour market are nominated for PR to settle and work. There are two streams
- Skilled Worker in Manitoba
- Skilled Worker Overseas
- International Education Stream (IES)
- Business Investor Stream (BIS)
New Brunswick, like many other Canadian provinces has its own immigration streams, targeting individuals with certain eligibility criteria. Some of these streams are as follow:
- New Brunswick Skilled Worker Stream is for skilled candidates holding a job offer from NB employer and willing to settle in province.
- New Brunswick Express Entry Stream is for candidates living and working in NOC 0, A or B and willing a to settle in province.
- New Brunswick Entrepreneurial Stream is for experiences business owners who want to start or buy a business in NB and managed it while staying in province.
The NB Express Entry Stream is new to the NBPNP where potential applicants are asked to complete an EOI (Expression Of Interest) and submit it to the NBPNP. Applicants also need to provide Federal Express Entry Profile Number and Job Seeker Validation Code on EOI form.
In a statement, Skills and Labour Minister Bernard Davis said, “Newfoundland and Labrador provides immigrant with collateral communities, a welcoming environment, and the many benefits of joining the economic and social life of the province. Immigrants are encouraged to come here and build a better future for your family.” NLPNP has following categories:
- Express Entry Skilled Worker – Category for skilled individuals who have been accepted into Federal CIC Express Entry pool and who have a job offer in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Skilled Worker – Skilled worker category is for individuals who have been working in Newfoundland and Labrador on a valid work permit and have a guaranteed offer of employment from an employer within province.
- International Graduate – Recent graduates who have a Post-Graduate Work Permit and a job / job offer from an employer within province can apply for this category.
Through this provincial nomination program, Nova Scotia is targeting prospective immigrants with the skills and experience to immigrate and settle in province. Different NSNP streams are as follow:
- Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities selects candidates from federal express entry pool which meet labour market needs. Letter of interest is sent to selected candidates and they have to apply through federal express entry system.
- Entrepreneur / International Graduate Entrepreneur is for either experienced business owners or graduates from provincial school who want to start a new or buy existing business.
- Nova Scotia Demand : Express Entry is for highly skilled individuals who are either holding a job offer letter from eligible employer (Category A) or fall in highly skilled occupation list (Category B).
- Physicians working as general practitioners and family physicians (NOC 3112) or specialist physicians (NOC 3111) can apply for PR with province.
YNP allows Yukon to nominate applicants to IRCC for permanent residency. Yukon Nominee Program facilitate eligible employers to fill permanent full-time jobs in the area by fast tracking workforce from outside of Canada. There is also a business stream for foreign national entrepreneurs who want to open a business in Yukon. Here are the available YNP streams:
- Skilled Worker Stream – Program designed for qualified workers who fit into NOC (National Occupational Classification) 0, A or B categories. This stream is locally driven and based on the needs of Yukon employers.
- Express Entry – EE is for skilled workers who fit into National Occupational Classification (NOC) A, 0 and B. You must also be eligible for one of the three federal immigration streams: federal skilled worker program; federal skilled trades program; or Canadian experience class.
- Critical Impact Worker Stream – Program targeting lower skilled qualified workers who fit into National Occupational Classification (NOC) C or D categories. This stream is locally driven and based on the needs of Yukon employers.
- Business Nominee Stream – Stream meant for individuals with proven business skills who want to own and operate businesses in Yukon. Businesses must belong to eligible sectors, but can be startups or purchased businesses. In all cases, the nominee must operate the business; no passive investments are allowed. Nominees receive support for a two-year work permit, during which time they are to establish themselves, their family and their business in Yukon. At the end of the period, nominees who meet the requirements will be supported by Yukon in their application to Canada for permanent residency.
3. Family Sponsorship
Who can sponsor ?
- Canadian Citizen
- Canadian PR holder
One can be sponsored only if, he / she is related to sponsor as:
- Spouse / common law partner
- Child / grandchild
- Brother / sister
- Nephew / niece
- Uncle / aunt
- 12 months for spouse
- 20 – 24 months for parents / grandparents
- 10 – 12 months for dependent child
- $1040 (for 22+ years old sponsee)
- $150 (for child)
Optional: Sponsor must have his personal or household income meet LICO (Low income cut off) requirement based on his / her dependants or family members
4. Startup Visa
I or 5 owners of a business can apply if they have great business idea and can get a support letter from any one of:
- Venture Capital Fund (with minimum of $200,000)
- Angel Investor Group (with minimum of $75,000)
- Must be accepted into one of IRCC mentioned list of Business Incubators
Processing time: 12 to 16 months
Fees from $1540
Optional: While individuals application for PR is being processed, he / she can apply for a temporary work permit to get to Canada and start building his / her business.
5. Caregiver Visa
Caregiver visa is a unique program which is believed to be the only one in the world that provides access to PR status for foreign care givers after two years of full-time employment in their occupation. Gateway to PR is a bonus to make up for the job’s unpleasant work condition and relatively low pay grade.
There are 3 streams for care givers in 2020 to work in canada and 3 other streams have expired in 2019.
5.1. Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP)
The Live-in Caregiver Program is closed to new applicants
You can apply under this program only if you have 2 years of working experience as a caregiver and:
- Either you are already working on LCP work permit
- or you were approved for LCP work permit based on LMIA before November 20, 2014
5.2. Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot
5.3. Temporary work permit extension
5.4. Interim Pathway for Caregiver
If candidate has submitted application before October 3, 2019, it will be processed.
5.5. Caring for people with High Medical Needs
5.6. Caring for Children
6. Self Employed
I can apply if I am:
- author / writer
- creative and performing artist
- Sculptor / visual artist
- technical support or other job in motion pictures
- creative designers / craftspeople
Experience needed: At least 2 years of last 5 years
Processing time: 24 months
Fees from $1540
Selection criteria: 35 / 100 points
No immigration conditions are imposed on the self-employed class. One must have enough money to support himself / herself and their family members after he / she arrives in Canada.
Self-employed person’s financial asset may also be a measure of intent and ability to establish economically in Canada. There is no minimum investment level for self-employed person. The capital required depends on the nature of the work.
7. Student route to PR
Students undergoing a 2 years program in Canadian University / College have number of immigration options. Canadian employers are more attracted to students with previous Canadian experience and because of the impeccable quality of Canadian education, Canada tries to retain foreign talent that graduates from its educational institutions.
Students are always advised to apply for Dual Intent i.e. both Temporary Residence (work and study) and Permanent Residence in Canada. Dual intent allows student to secure their temporary study permit while they apply / wait for their permanent residence. This makes Canada an even more lucrative place to study for students. Students can go through any one of following immigration path to get their Permanent Residence:
- Express Entry (Canada Experience Class)
- Provincial Nomination
8. Altantic Immigration Pilot
Government of Canada has partnered up with following 4 Atlantic provinces to launch an employer-driven program, which is designed to help Atlantic Canada employers to hire qualified foreign workers for jobs they have been unable to fill in locally:
- Prince Edward Island
- Nova Scotia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
Processing time: 6 months
Fees from: $1040
This program is further divided into three streams based on individuals qualification, experience and education. Requirements which remain constant in all these streams are :
- Good score in language proficiency test for either English or French.
- Candidate should have sufficient funds to support himself / herself and accompanying family.
8.1. High Skilled Worker
This category is for candidates who have experience working in professional, management or skilled job for at least a year and have Canadian high school diploma or equivalent.
8.2. Intermediate Skilled Worker
This category if for candidates who have experience working for a job that requires a high school education or have undergone at least one year of job specific training.
8.3. International Graduate
This category targets candidate who have stayed in Atlantic province for 16 months minimum within 2 years before getting diploma, degree or other credential which has been awarded by public funded institute in Atlantic province.
9. Agri-Food Pilot
Canada launched Agri-food pilot to address the needs of Agri-food sector in Canada. I can apply if:
My Profession is
- Food Processing woker
- Live stock worker
- Farm supervisor
- Harvesting worker
- General Farm Labourer
Experience Required: 1 year of non-seasonal Canadian work experience is a must have requirement requirement.
Language Requirement: CLB 4 or equivalent is required.
Canada’s friendly stance towards new immigrants, when other nations like US and Australia are restricting immigration policies is contributing to Canada’s success and is helping country to widen its talent pool. If you find yourself eligible for any one or more than one stream / program, then gear up and start the process to move to a friendly, beautiful and safe corner of the world.